CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Soccer challenges

So this year Derek and Dallan are playing soccer (AYSO). It took a few games to get them back in the swing of things, but they are doing really well and liking it a lot. However, I am struggling with Dallan's coach quite a bit. I realize that he is a volunteer and I really try never to criticize volunteers, especially when it's something I'm not willing to volunteer to do. His son is amazing and I am proud of the kid's skills, but the dad(coach) is SOOO overly proud of the kid that it is embarrassing. He forgets about everyone else on the team, which is sad since they are 5 years old and this is likely their very first experience. Much of practices are spent on ridiculous things like juggling the ball, since his kid has clearly mastered all the basic skills. The kid will literally get the ball every play and go for a goal. I never hear any mention of passing, letting others have a chance, etc.... Ball goes into play, "Wyatt" (I'll change the name for the kid's sake) gets the ball, takes it down for a goal, coach yells something like "YEAYYY WYATT, your a SUPERSTAR!!!", "WOW, you make this game so fun to watch!", and my personal favorite is when he instructs the kids on the other team, which he always does, "you need to make sure and stay on Wyatt, because if he gets the ball he'll get a goal every time." I think the other coaches and parents all want to strangle him. Last week Tom finally had had enough. Smart little Dallan decided to post himself in front of our own goal and assist Wyatt's goal so at least he could feel like he was playing. After Wyatt's 10th goal against a team that was clearly struggling, Tom stood up and made some sarcastically loud cheers that I think MAY have gotten the coach's attention. I was a little embarrassed, but also a little proud since it seemed to have gone on long enough. Next week is the last game, thank goodness. Maybe in the future I'll sign up to be a soccer coach after all. :o)

2 comments:

Us Lochers said...

Ugh! Brian would have yelled at the guy LONG ago... and not have been sarcastic. He would have been down right mean, which is always embarassing. ANYWAY, it is unfortunate that people like this don't even notice what kind of pain they are inflicting on others.

Kelli said...

Oh man! I love it when Tom is sarcastic...it is so rare I wish I could have seen it. It is hard to make your child feel better because although they hear you, the coach holds a lot of sway. I'm sorry that guy was so terrible.