CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Spinach and Carrot Smoothie??


So my favorite Christmas gift this year was a Ninja personal blender that Tom got me. Since I am not a fan of raw vegetables, I have for a while been making a smoothie that I drink every morning, and I actually think it tastes pretty good. My kids like it too. I am lucky to live in Brigham because we have great friends and neighbors that give us free fruit that I can freeze and use all year!!

Here is my basic recipe for one serving:

small handful of fresh spinach (I use bagged baby spinach)
3 baby carrots
a cup or so of frozen peaches
4-6 frozen raspberries
1/4 green apple, chopped (galas or braeburns are good too)
1/2 cup (approx.) orange juice
milk (maybe 1/2 cup - 1 cup?)
small section of a banana (optional)

I don't add any sugar at all. And sometimes it's a little tart, so I add just a small amount of banana and it's perfect. The key I think is to have a good blender and let it blend long enough so you can't even tell the spinach is there. I also think the O.J. is vital. At first I didn't add it, and it wasn't nearly as good.

I even told my kids there was spinach in it and they still wanted more, they couldn't even tell. And the raspberries make it a nice pink color so it doesn't look green.

I think if you were a yogurt person that might be good too, but as I'm not, I haven't tried it.

2 comments:

Us Lochers said...

ummmm... I've been considering the purchase of a ninja.... do you absolutely LOVE it? Is it worth the cost?

AND your smoothie sounds delish! I want to try it...

Mel said...

So far I love it and there have been no problems. But...I did noticed some mixed reviews on Amazon, so I've been waiting to see if it holds up. The blades are really sharp so I have to keep it way up high away from kids.

We need to do lunch or something....are you a SAHM now?